Friday, April 24, 2009

It's time to comment on the Miss USA Pageant

The treatment of Miss California in the Miss USA pagent was obviously disturbing to me. Historically the questions that are given to contestants are supposed to test the contestant's poise and demeaner under a little bit of pressure. I was in a few pageants in my younger days; and in one particular pageant, I was asked a question about Rowe v. Wade. I'm sure the substance of my response pleased some and displeased some. I didn't win the pageant, and it would never have occurred to anyone at that time to attack me for my answer. Politics just was not a factor, and I'm entitled to my opinion and should not suffer for expressing it.

Some have tried to dismiss this incident saying that it's just a beauty pageant and it doesn't matter. Oh yes, it does! This is a situation where an individual was demonized for expressing an opinion. What's next? What might be in store for those of us who dare to disagree with the current administration and express our opinions in a public place.

And hey, where is the outrage among women's groups. Where is NOW? A woman was verbally attacked by a man (Hmmm). Aren't you gals going to come to her defense?

No comments:

Post a Comment