Sunday, July 5, 2009

JULY 4th TEA PARTY

On the evening of July 4, I attended a TEA party that was held at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater in Pelham, AL. It was quite an experience for me since I have not been politically active in a while. Was this a protest? If so, I think it may be the first protest in which I have ever been involved.

Protest or not, this was a great event and I hope that these events will continue and more individuals will take the opportunity to attend. The only review that I have read about the TEA party was on a local TV station’s website. This website indicated that several hundred had attended when indeed it has been over 3,000. The attendance was announced because it was anticipated that the press would downplay the event in any manner that it could.

Conservatives have an undeserved reputation of “being angry”. Not last night’s bunch! Everyone was smiling and having a good time. Sure the crowd expressed its angst at the mention of nationalized healthcare, the new energy tax recently passed by the house, our current president’s apologetic attitude when visiting European countries earlier this year, etc. There was one attendee who was carrying a confederate battle flag, but when he was asked to not display it, he complied. For a bunch if “red neck racists”, I thought we were a pretty sophisticated crowd.

Speaking of race, one of the speakers was a black man who gave an excellent speech, and at one point alluded to the fact that conservatives generally don’t care about one’s skin color, with the crowd expressing its agreement. Remember, these are conservatives that mostly live in the greater Birmingham, Alabama area. If there’s any TV coverage, what do you think will be on the tube, the one confederate battle flag, or the crowd agreeing with Kevin that conservatives don’t care about skin color? I think you already know the answer to that.

I’m looking forward to more TEA parties and I would definitely like to get involved in this movement because I’m very concerned about the direction that out nation’s leaders are taking us.

1 comment:

  1. As a fellow Tea Bagger, and one of the speakers at the event, I will say that Nancy captured the essence of the event. Kudos for all great Americans who are participating in the process. This is the same that should be expected at election time! Focus on politicians not listening to their bosses, us, and FIRE them!

    ReplyDelete