Wednesday, August 4, 2010

WHAT IF I LIVED IN A LIBERAL STATE?

Earlier this week I read a NewsMax.com article that indicated that Alabama was the fifth most conservative state in the United States. The four that came in ahead of Alabama included South Dakota, Utah, Mississippi, and Oklahoma (I think).

Alabama has always been a very conservative state. As the current president says, “we hold onto our guns and our Bibles”. In the last forty-six years, voters in Alabama have only supported a Democrat candidate for president once. That was Jimmy Carter in 1976. I can go up to most people without even knowing them and say that we (the Republicans) have to take back the House and the Senate in November or the United States of America, as we know it is gone. I then can then indicate that we have to get rid of the current president in 2012. I have never had a stranger that I’ve said this to disagree with me. I do know some Democrats/liberals/current president supporters; and some of them I’ve said this to. They, of course, disagree; but it doesn’t take very long for me to argue them down.

Back to the title of this post…how would I fare as a resident of Massachusetts, California, New York, or any of the other predominately liberal states? Actually, I would probably be more politically active and maybe even aspire to leadership within the state’s Republican party. These states have some very strong Republican organizations. When I was a Young Republican, Massachusetts had some very outstanding Young Republican clubs. Would I get in trouble at times for expressing my opinion? Probably.

But I live in the fifth most conservative state in the country. As you can see from my picture and my profile, I’m a southern white conservative Christian. Several years back a friend of a friend who is very liberal, vacationed in the British Isles. When he returned, he indicated to me that he liked it because there were very few conservatives over there. I immediately asked him why he didn’t stay there. He then indicated that even though the southeastern United States was fully of southern white conservative Christians like me, he still liked it better here. I retorted that he had better think twice before wishing for us to be annihilated because southern white conservative Christians are about the only group you can make fun of and still be considered politically correct.

In connection with the gulf oil spill, I think the current president did set foot in Alabama, but I think most folks didn’t want him here. As I’ve said in previous blog posts, he doesn’t care about the gulf coast states. With the exception of Florida peninsula, we didn’t vote for him. So according to him, we’re irrelevant and useless, and that’s just fine with me.

My roots are in Alabama’s sod and I’m southern by the grace of God. I take pride in where I’m from and the in the values that are part of this state. It’s nice here and quality of life is very good. And it doesn’t hurt that our football team in number one (at least for now).

No comments:

Post a Comment